Sunday, April 27, 2008

Braxton Hicks - Whats that? Who's he?

Not really knowing what to expect (yeah, you can read about it and all - but that doesn't do this whole pregnancy thing any justice - the books say things like breast tenderness and mild, sporadic uterine contractions - but what does that really feel like?!!?) - I had my first Braxton Hicks contraction on Friday.
I was thinking it was going to be more like cramps - good old fashioned, once a month, general feeling of ill-will in my lower gut. I guess I forgot that my uterus is now up to my boobs and it felt like I had a three inch belt on around my bellybutton that got sucked in victorian corset "hold on to the bedpost" style. Yikes! Had to sit down for a minute.

In all honesty - I always thought that Braxton Hicks were two people. Turns out it is one dude.

Oh well, you learn something new everyday - and reading about it ahead of time doesn't really prepare you for it ALL.

No comments: