Sunday, April 22, 2007

Meal Planning - What not to do

Today was a good crazy day - I guess it all started very early this morning, midnight thirty or so, after work, I went to Jackie and Jason's to celebrate their new house. I got there when things were winding down, but luckily the Hippie had a stogie left for me, and although the pineapple vodka was long gone, there is always a sip or two of whiskey left.
I hung out too late to go home so I stayed the night and came home mid-morning ditching the weekly knitting session for the volunteer/south dakota contingent. A long time ago in a land far far away - I met Heather through volunteering. Her husband, Paul, always wanted to take an Indian cooking class, so we did. That is how I met Paul. Heather grew up in South Dakota. If you move to North Carolina from South Dakota, there is a group here for you - but you knew that, because you already know them - the South Dakota Contingent. I met Dave and Bill that way - and through them learned the proper pronounciation of Pierre (hint, only one syllable). Since, I have met their beautiful significant others - Heidi and Sandra. In the past 9 or so years I've known this group, we have been marrying off and adding to the brood - Heather and Paul (already married when I met them) have Nora and Auden, Dave and Sandra married about 4 or 5 years now just had Dylan (this is the first wedding that Kel and I went to when we were dating). Heidi and Bill married a couple of years now, are adding two to the group too, but we have to wait until August to meet the first lil' guy - the other isn't on a definite timeline, but we'll welcome that kiddo when the adoption papers go through.
Anyway - the Volunteer/South Dakota contingent came over at about 1. I scooted from Jackie and Jasons at about 1030 - stopped to pick up food and then chopped my little head off - marinated the vittles and prepped a bunch of food for the crew. Kel and I fixed guacamole, fajitas (steak, chicken and fish), and pineapple with rum for dessert. We picked up a few things around the house and a good time was had. Heather made wonderful Chocolate Ice Cream and Olive Tapenade (yum), Heidi brought the beans and rice.
It was all she wanted to do all day and finally at the end, Nora held Dylan:
Dylan was laid back. SOOOOO laid back during the time he was here. Dave was making him giggle using Daddy tactics - this kid is loved and happy.

And Kel played with Auden:

Auden and Kel are crazy together - they play legos, they goof off, they are rambunctious people and it is hard to tell who is 3 and who is 37 when they are together. Kel brings Auden out of the "shy around adults" shell and Auden's eyes light up when he sees Mr. Kelly.

Heidi is preggers - and actually looking preggers - last time I saw her, she was her svelte self. I feel like I haven't see her in a while and the baby bump is in full effect - she is handsome playing the role of a pregnant woman.

And then Kel and I recovered - Sunday nap time, in full effect. What a great day off.

No comments: