Saturday, April 21, 2007

Stupid A$$ Handyman

Rant: In the neighborhood that I live, there is a handyman. He is not handy - and if I were snarky, I'd mention something about the man part here.
He is so "not handy" that at the last homeowners meeting (we are a self run organization) they basically said he is what we could afford. But he is good, and if you have a problem after he has completed a task, you should contact the hoa to get it resolved. Now, after that statement, there were 4 people who spoke on his behalf. All of the stories went like this: I had [handyman] fix my [insert item to be fixed here], although it wasn't right the first time, he fixed [item] when he was called back.
Um, why isn't he fixing it right the first time. How about this - instead of paying someone a low sum twice to do a job (because he isn't going to repair stuff for free) - pay someone 1.5 times that to do it right the first time - I'm a genius.
They do the same thing with the painting crew too - paint doesn't last worth a crap - they didn't sand, recaulk, any of it. Anyway - I was on the handyman, not the painting crew.

Now, here is my experience with the dolt.
Our front door needed to be replaced. After arguing with the HOA - I emailed the part of the bylaw that was online that said they should do it. And boy did they.
He didn't stain or paint or seal the door while it was off hinge. I bought new hinges because the old ones were looking ratty and he didn't take the stickers off and put them in upside down. When he sunk the holes for the locks, he tore about an inch and a half splinter (it looks totally unprofessional - all you need to do is apply like 3 pieces of masking tape to stop it from doing this). Somehow in the whole mess, he cut himself, and bled on our carpet - AND THEN TRIED TO COVER IT UP.
All in all, it took Kel over two hours to fix the door to a point where it was functional and clean the rug.
There were other things, but this is just off the top of my head ranting.

Anyway, back to today - I worked until midnight last night and was wired until 2.
I don't need to be awakened by the sounds of power tools and metal bits hitting each other. Especially because I was actually sleeping. That comes at a minimum around here.

No comments: